Just like making a candle is an art, so is “maintaining” your candle. Every wick has been thoroughly tested with each fragrance and vessel to ensure your candle behaves the way it should. Follow these few simple guidelines, and you will receive maximum burn time and scent throw from your candle.
- Trim your wick, after each burn to 1/2 inch or 1.25 cm.
- Keep your candle away from drafts.
- The first burn establishes a “memory”. Burn your candle from the wick to the edge of the glass for the first burn to prevent a “tunnel”. This time will vary on the size of the vessel you have purchased. Roughly, 3-4 hours should suffice.
- How long can I burn my candle? The length of time varies according to the size of the candle. If you burn a candle too long, the glass heats up, the wick over heats and too much wax melts. This all contributes to smoking.
- For a small candle, such as a spa light or mini votive (4.5cm diameter) burn a maximum of 2 -3 hours.
- For a medium sized candle, such as an 8 ounce quilted jelly jar (6-9 cm diameter), burn for 3-4 hours.
- For a larger candle, such as a blue flower posey (10-15 cm’s) burn 3-5 hours.
- In warm weather, put your candle in the freezer for 10-15 minutes before lighting it.